The Restraining Order

A lot of times, especially recently, I realise I need an order and a shield to stop me.  "For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate" (Romans 7:15; ESV). Things I plan to live without, things that don't improve me are seen as my number 1. I focus a lot on the unimportant, irrelevant and not urgent items in the books. Then I heard a Word that is changing me, building me up and helping me. A Word that helped me realise that help was close by, all I needed to do was ask. I choose to follow that Word, I choose to live by that standard.

There was famine in the land, and Abram and Sarai decided to go to Egypt. Just as they were about to get into the land, they had a plan, "Say you are my sister, that it may go well with me because of you, and that my life may be spared for your sake” (Genesis 12:13; ESV).  Sarai was beautiful and she came in highly recommended by Pharaoh's princes. She was taken into Pharaoh's house and Abram was treated well. But God punished Pharaoh and his house because of her. In the end, he had to send the couple packing.

Then later, they went to the territory of Negeb. The same lie planned in Genesis 12: 13 was acted again to Abimelech King of Gerar in Genesis 20: 2. At night, Abimelech was warned by God in a dream that the Sarah was another man's wife. He explained to God that he was innocent. Genesis 20:6 "Then God said to him in the dream, “Yes, I know that you have done this in the integrity of your heart, and it was I who kept you from sinning against me. Therefore I did not let you touch her" (ESV). King Abimelech apologised and offered goods to Abraham and returned his wife. Then Abraham prayed for him and his household. He was healed with his wives and female slaves of barrenness (Genesis 20:17).

One man was punished for an offense and another was shown his wrong, rescued from sin and his household delivered for the same offense. King Abimelech knew and feared God so it was easy for God to talk to him.

Prayer: Lord, please I always want to live and walk in Your restraining order that my life may please You because it is not about me, never has been, never will be in Jesus name, Amen.





Comments

  1. yea i agree, we all need a check in our lives; our own restraining order. My father always says once you're too big to receive a restraining order, you're on your way to a bad crash!!
    Great, timely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this is a deep post.we all need restraining orders at 1 point or the other. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment