Mental Health: Watch Out for It.

Hello People
How are you doing?
I am sure you are already wondering, where this girl has been?
She will write one post and promise to be back soon, then we would not see her for another 3/4 weeks. 

First off, I would like to specially thank every one that has checked on me while I have been acting like Nigeria's PHCN. Thank you for the check ups, the subtle harassment for the next blog post and  the chastisement of my inconsistency. Please, always know that checking up is a good thing. If it is unusual for you not to hear from someone in a while and/or a person comes to your mind, buzz them, stalk them, check up on them. You will never know how that your seemingly "little" act of kindness makes that person truly feel. If the person is like me, they may not say more than "thank you very much. I really appreciate your call/message/..." but know that you just might have been a star on a dark night.

The beginning of this year felt great. Everything was going very well and good. Fantastic family/life events, work was going well, I had decided to explore the world a bit and was contributing my little to the development of Nigeria. Things were quite good and I was happy. Then one day around February or March (honestly can't remember exactly when), I woke up to realise that I was not half as excited as I usually was. I would wake up in the morning and want to really do nothing not even talk to anyone. As in even to just lie in bed, I was not keen. I just wanted to sleep for hours on end. Would sometimes not get out of my room till evenings on some days. I also realised that I had fallen in love with items that were drowning in sugar; the Coldstone ice cream with brownie, broken in waffles and caramel topping, gummy bears, white chocolate and everything not #fitfam despite my #fitfam goals for 2018. I also could not pray and/or read my bible or listen to any sermon outside of those I heard in church on Sundays and I found nothing interesting. Not even reading, watching anything or blogging. I was also always tired even if I slept for 8 hours the night before.

Armed with this new discovery of me, I decided to diagnose myself and Google the symptoms. I found that although I was physically good, I really needed to check the state of my mental health. 
What was the cause of this new me? 
How did she get here? 
How do I handle her?
What did I need to do to change her? 
Ladies and gentlemen, the essence of this story is just to tell you that your mental state is equally as important as your physical well being. 
And "No", mental health is not synonymous with madness.

The month of May has been observed as a month for Mental Health Awareness in 1949. 
Can you do a quick and periodic assessment of your state of mind?
Never wait until you are drowned in a place that you don't even know yourself anymore.
Watch out for days that you feel very off. 
Watch out for times when you are not in the mood to read, write, watch TV and do the very things you considered normal and interesting. 
If you need to talk to someone or people about how you feel, please do. 
If you need to get professional help, please go for it.
Like I say on Instagram, your safety is very important to me.
Nights are never all black
There always is a form of light even on the darkest days to guide us.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
2 Timothy 1:7 (King James Bible)

Have a beautiful rest of the week people
Filled with loads of hugs, love and kisses.
Miss Onakz...

Comments

  1. Wow!! I had no idea you went through that. I am one to disappear into food when I feel low but at the end of the day, that tends to even make one feel worse. Yes, our mental health is very important. Guide your heart(mind) with all diligence for out of it are the issues of life. We deliberately have to choose to be joyful even on dark days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs namesake. Thank God you are back

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment