On Your Own Lane

Hewo o!!!
Oh my God!!!
What am I going to write about?!!!
The above expressions are me in panic mode. 
Those statements are what I was telling myself as Monday became Tuesday and now, it is already Friday. Please just blame it on me. Not work not life. Simply me…

There was some traffic on my way to work this morning. Every man was on his lane, hoping the road ahead would be free. Then I saw a broken down vehicle just in front of me on the same lane. I indicated left to the car beside me so that I could just divert a bit and go back to my lane. That was how this woman started to honk her horn as if I was going to carry the road with me. Using Ijebu and Anioma sense, I sha managed to squeeze in front of her then turn back into my lane and continued my journey. 

Few minutes later, guess who was indicating to come to my lane. It was the same lady that did not want me to enter her lane. Hmmmm, I felt like giving her a big fat slap. So you too can beg for space, abi? Fortunately for her, the car behind me allowed her in. In my mind, the competition had begun and I must pass her. Please bear in mind that I did not know where she was coming from or where she was going to but I still went into competition on my own just to prove that I will get to wherever first and I am good at manoeuvring.

Remember that the lady probably does not even know that I exist. She was going to her own destination and yet I wanted to win. Win what exactly? When did the competition start? Who determined the finish line? Who was our referee? Please who sent me? After a while, I looked in my mirror and did not see her any more.

But is this not the way we sometimes are about life? We meet people in school and we just want to prove that we are more successful. We have a friend (or after dating an ex and breaking up), we want to get married first so that we can say I am the better husband/wife material. We meet people that we got married at about the same time and still want to have children first to prove that I am more fertile. At our jobs, rather than focusing on succeeding, we want to outsmart our colleagues (a basis for comparison) so that we can prove we are more intelligent. 

My people, who send me or you message? In this life, we are all running our races and we all want to achieve great things but we should always remember that we individually have our lanes. We can all be Kings and Queens in our palaces and achieve ALL that we want to but always remember, you are in competition with yourself and not the person by your side. “They shall run like mighty men; they shall climb the wall like men of war; and they shall march everyone on his ways, and they shall not break their ranks:” (Joel 2:7 – King James Version)

Have a wonderful weekend.
Loads of Hugs and Kisses,
Miss Onakz....


Announcements
1. I have added a Books Read in 2016 section to the right of the page so you know the books I am reading or have read this year. You are also very free to recommend any nice one to me. 
2. We will be reading posts from a guest soon. More details will come shortly.

Comments

  1. Nice read Miss Onakz... No body send me oh! I believe we should focus on our goals and leave the competition thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm....nice one! 1st me rich no be rich pass me. Even if you rich pass me, it's not new. Jokes apart, this is very true. It disgust me when my friends try to show off

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the best part of reading this is that I read I imagine your voice in my head as I read. And its quite interesting. You write the way you speak. LOL!
    I guess its the way we have been programmed to be the first and best so this article is a timely message for me; to face my own journey as I start this week. No competition! At the end of the week, I'll see how I did. thank you for writing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read all of your posts and you my friend are a talented writer. The only race we should be concerned about is the race to heaven all others are min or.
    Thanks again babe.
    I'm looking forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a lot of books. Christian based books mostly and then relationship books. But as a June baby, I call June my self-appraisal month and try to read a motivational or business/career based book. Last year, "Lean in" by Sheryl Sandberg did it for me. This year, i've been struggling to find THAT book. Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Eny,

      I will recommend "Start with Why" by Simon Sinek. I found very good for me.

      Delete

Post a Comment