Is it Really Called Love?

Hope you are having a beautiful week so far. Well, mine has been going on well.
I have redesigned this blog a bit. Don’t worry, you don’t have the wrong address. We now have nice and lovely colours all over, yay!!!
Welcome!!! Do you do like the colours?

In light of these bright colours, I have chosen to write about something equally lovely. You see, I really love to see love (when I read those bellanaija stories mehn, I can get emotional). I love to hear love (songs, stories and the likes).  I also act in love (giving, being nice, laughing, smiling etc). I can also visualise in my mind what love entails and also compose lovely write ups on love, relationships and marriage. Does that make me a lovey-lovey person? Does being emotional equal to being in love?

What actually prompted this my lovely message today was that I was looking through my inbox from way back and found an email I got from a friend advising me to love. I also remember another person called me selfish a few years ago. That made me thinking for days, emi? selfish? What did I do or what did I not do?

Anyway today, I finally decided to study 1 Corinthians 13 since that is where love is defined from. I will be using the Contemporary English Version (CEV) and I also want you to join me. I want to find out where I fall short and if you have love issues like me, I suggest you do the same:

1 What if I could speak all languages of humans and of angels? If I did not love others, I would be nothing more than a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
2 What if I could prophesy and understand all secrets and all knowledge? And what if I had faith that moved mountains? I would be nothing, unless I loved others.
3 What if I gave away all that I owned and let myself be burned alive? I would gain nothing, unless I loved others.
4 Love is kind (only when someone deserves it or I just want to be nice) and patient (if they aren’t wasting my time or talking rubbish or behaving immaturely), never jealous, boastful, proud (do they know who I am?), or
5 rude (what if the person doesn’t respect themselves?). Love isn’t selfish (sometimes though, I just want my things and things done my way) or quick tempered (when the person drives me mad nko?). It doesn’t keep a record of wrongs that others do (ahan, but I don’t want the person to do it again so I have to caution them. Am I a mumu?).
 6 Love rejoices in the truth, but not in evil.
7 Love is always supportive (always ke? What of sometimes?), loyal, hopeful (even when the person does not want to change?), and trusting (I trust myself first o. Too many people have failed me).
8 Love never fails! Everyone who prophesies will stop, and unknown languages will no longer be spoken. All that we know will be forgotten.
9 We don’t know everything (including others thoughts and intentions), and our prophecies are not complete.
10 But what is perfect will someday appear, and what isn’t perfect will then disappear.
11 When we were children, we thought and reasoned as children do. But when we grew up, we quit our childish ways.
12 Now all we can see of God is like a cloudy picture in a mirror. Later we will see him face to face. We don’t know everything, but then we will, just as God completely understands us.
13 For now there are faith, hope, and love. But of these three, the greatest is love.

Reading through those verses, I saw my own flaws between verses 4 and 9. The parts crossed out are me trying to add or subtract (being rational with) what I have read. As I began to logically negotiate with the reading, I actually recognised those are my real areas of my love issues.

As I go to bed this morning, I remember a prayer point I used to pray without really taking it to heart. Now that I really want to live this loving life, I have learnt to pray it with deeper meaning: “Father, please reduce me to love and let love be real to me”.

Have a beautiful rest of the week.
Lots of Hugs and Kisses
Miss Onakz...

Comments

  1. Interesting......May God help us! It's practically impossible to love according to that scripture with God's assistance. Nice one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Amen! I agree, although difficult, it is very possible.

      Delete
  2. Insightful....food for thought. Thanks Onaks more wisdom for you I pray. Tollie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful piece......Thanks dear T-Onaks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your penmanship. Very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Father, please reduce me to love and let love be real to me. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every situation I've been through I've asked God to give me a heart like his. I've been hurt too much in this life that when I give love to someone who doesn't 'deserve' it, I know it's God working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing love in our capacity is very difficult. We really need God to love because with life, we meet more and more people that aren't deserving of us and our love and we too ourselves are not deserving of others.
      Thank you so much for your comment...xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment