For the Buts that Don't Kill

Hello People
How are you doing?
How have you been in the last 2 weeks?
I apologise for not posting anything but honestly, I think it was the writer's block and/or zero motivation. 
I am certainly blaming it on something.

This week, please say a special prayer for everyone going through grief. Pray that God will comfort them and show them that He is with them. They will come through this phase unhurt and His power will be manifest in their lives in Jesus name, Amen!!!

Today's post is for some bible study. 
Are we cool with that?
This study will be about the Shunamite Woman. You've read about her before right? Please let's read the story again. This time, we will read together, you and me. 


One day Elisha went on to Shunem, where a wealthy woman lived, who urged him to eat some food. So whenever he passed that way, he would turn in there to eat food. And she said to her husband, “Behold now, I know that this is a holy man of God who is continually passing our way. Let us make a small room on the roof with walls and put there for him a bed, a table, a chair, and a lamp, so that whenever he comes to us, he can go in there.” One day he came there, and he turned into the chamber and rested there. And he said to Gehazi his servant, “Call this Shunammite.” When he had called her, she stood before him. And he said to him, “Say now to her, ‘See, you have taken all this trouble for us; what is to be done for you? Would you have a word spoken on your behalf to the king or to the commander of the army?’” She answered, “I dwell among my own people.” And he said, “What then is to be done for her?” Gehazi answered, “Well, she has no son, and her husband is old.” He said, “Call her.” And when he had called her, she stood in the doorway. And he said, “At this season, about this time next year, you shall embrace a son.” And she said, “No, my lord, O man of God; do not lie to your servant.” But the woman conceived, and she bore a son about that time the following spring, as Elisha had said to her.
2 Kings 4: 8- 17 (English Standard Version)

Will you now permit me to say this story using more modern language and based on the situations we can relate with. 

So there was this woman that could afford almost everything she needed. I mean, she was rich. She also knew that a man of God came around occasionally so she encouraged her husband to set up the visitor's room for anytime the man of God came around. They also went on to fit the room with some nice amenities. One day, this man came long with his servant and after he had rested, he felt the need to really appreciate and reciprocate what this woman had done for him. The room must have been very comfortable. He called his servant and told him to call the lady. A clean room and good food. Then in reciprocity, he asks her "Would you have a word spoken on your behalf to the king or to the commander of the army?" (Verse 13). Well, this question to me may mean..."Do you have tax issues you need the government to sort out or do you need a new contract on the government job that was recently advertised or  do you have electricity or water or heating? Really, what do you need from the authorities? I, the man of God can talk to the Governor or the President or anybody in power to fix it.

The woman's answer was more profound She answered, “I dwell among my own people (Verse 13)”. This could mean, I don't need anything the government can provide, they have already given me what I need or I can afford it myself so why go to the government? Or the Governor is my brother or brother- in-law or cousin or family friend or was the best man at our wedding so I have easier access to him. Why do I need you to talk to him for me? Have you also ever thought it could also mean "Look, I have moved on from some of my needs. I understand that I will not get everything so I am happy to die the way I am." If you have thought of it as that, cool because I have too. 

I also imagined that it was after she had left the man of God's presence that Gehazi told him that she had no son and her husband was old. This imagination is so because Gehazi had to call her back to receive the prophesy that the man of God said. Do you feel like this woman sometimes?
- This guy is a very good student. In fact, with straight As at Secondary School. He does not have a sponsor and may lose his admission into the University.
- There is this lady that has a good job. She enters public transport to work every day and may not be able to get finance for buying a car.
-  There is this sweet couple that makes everyone want to fall in love, but they do not have children and have been trying for over 3 years now.
- There was this guy that was doing very well with his career but he was not married and he is getting old.
- This lady has good savings. She is tired of her job and her line head is frustrating her.
- There is this business that is making profit, but the expansion plan is not just coming together and they are beginning to run out of new ideas.

Does life throw you some buts that you have clearly moved on from because you have waited long enough for an answer that does not seem to be in sight? It seems like they are no longer hurting and you can live with and without them. The Shunamite Woman had so moved on from having kids that even when the man of God prophesied, she answered “No, my lord, O man of God; do not lie to your servant.” (Verse 16). However, the best part of the story is the last verse read "But the woman conceived, and she bore a son about that time the following spring, as Elisha had said to her." (Verse 17). Please read it again. By the man of God's words, she actually conceived and bore a child by the following spring.

Irrespective of how you have felt let down or disappointed or you have clearly moved on from the issue. Even if your thinking is "Even if I don't have it, living without it will not kill me or well, other aspects of my life are successful so why bother with this need?" I urge you to trust God all over again. Find His words anew regarding your situations and I pray that He will come through for you very soon in Jesus name.
Amen!!!

Have a wonderful week
Filled with load of love, hugs and kisses from me to you.
Miss Onakz...

Comments

  1. Nice one Miss Onaks. Thanks for sharing this post at such a time as this. I await a manifestation as well this time next year. May it be so unto me and my household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen!!! Thank you so much Sis. Your comment just made me smile...xxx

      Delete
  2. Very relatable read. Thank you!!!😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dearest Bolanle, thank you for reading always...xoxoxo.

      Delete

Post a Comment